It’s that time of month again: my Julep Maven June 2016 Maven box arrived this past Wednesday! Julep’s monthly Maven box is still great, especially now that it’s fully customizable.
I customized my box this month because one of the main new products was a blush (Skip the Brush), which I pretty much never use. It’s a multipurpose makeup that can be used on lips and eyes, too, but I didn’t feel compelled to try it this time. I was also sort of lukewarm on the nail polish colors this month, so I skipped those as well.
Here’s what I got in my box instead:
White pearlescent tissue paper, turquoise paper crinkles, and:
- Intro/quote card – “When the sun is shining I can do anything; no mountain is too high, no trouble too difficult to overcome.” – Wilma Rudolph, fastest woman in the world in the 1960s.
- Promo code – use JUNE30 for 30% off a Julep.com purchase through July 31.
- Julep Voila! Nail Polish Thinner ($14 regular, $11.20 Maven) – can you believe I didn’t have a polish thinner on hand up through now? Figured I’d pick one up, since it fixes up those older polishes that start congealing on you.
- Julep Love Your Bare Face Detoxifying Cleansing Stick ($28 regular, $22.40 Maven) – really wanted to try this since it came out a couple months ago!
- Julep When Pencil Met Gel Long-Lasting Eyeliner in Sunset Gold Shimmer ($16 regular, $12.80 Maven) – I like these eyeliners, and Sunset Gold is a new color this month.
And, this month’s bonus freebie was Necco candy wafers. Never had these before; they’re like super-hard flavored fondant. I’m going to make a public-service announcement: don’t try chewing them like I did. I was scared I broke my teeth! Overall not my favorite, but it was still interesting to try this old-fashioned sweet from the 1840s, which I promptly felt an urge to learn about on Wikipedia. The flavors I got were orange, wintergreen, cinnamon, lemon, lime, and clove. Definitely old school.
The Voila! Nail Polish Thinner comes in an opaque dropper bottle with the glass dropper packaged separately in the same box. I haven’t tried this yet, so I can’t speak to its effectiveness, but I’ll let you guys know when I give it a shot.
This is the Love Your Bare Face Detoxifying Cleansing Stick with the screw-on cap removed but with the protective clear plastic shield still on. The clear shield pops right off if you carefully lift it around the edge with a fingernail, and the stick underneath is close to the consistency of a solid lip balm.
Julep recommends using the cleansing stick with their konjac sponge, but I also had good results using it with a silicone scrubby. It’s got a light, clean, citrusy scent that I like, and it left refreshingly clean but moisturized skin. It didn’t irritate my very sensitive, allergy-prone skin, either. I’m pretty impressed with this one and adding it to my skincare rotation. Thumbs up!
The When Pencil Met Gel eyeliner in Sunset Gold Shimmer doesn’t look quite as glittery on the pencil as it does in Julep’s promotional photos, but maybe it’ll have more of that foil effect when it’s actually applied. I’ll update this when I find out!
(EDIT 7/1/16: Well, the Sunset Gold’s got a bit more foil sparkle when applied onto the skin than seen on the pencil, but it didn’t come out nearly as metallic on me as in Julep’s photos. It was more like a mild shimmer in a matte burnt-gold base – maybe conservative office-appropriate, even. Mildly disappointing!)
What can I say? You can’t go wrong with a custom box, and it was awesome of Julep to extend customization to legacy Mavens. I’m happy.
Disclosure: This post contains one or more referral links. I don’t expect you to use my referral links unless you want to, of course, and they don’t affect me giving my honest opinion. Referrals go toward products reviewed on this site – thanks!