Over this past weekend – at a childhood friend’s bachelorette party, no less – I had a chance to try out my Julep May 2014 Bombshell box nail polish colors, Laree (“[g]olden pink taffeta shimmer”) and Saaya (“[g]olden apricot shimmer”).
This is two coats of each (Laree on the index and pinky, Saaya on the middle and ring), topped with Julep Freedom top coat, in natural light:
I’m not sure why it looks like there’s a wrinkle on the ring finger nail, but it was smooth in person.
Another angle to better show the subtle warm gold shimmer in both colors:
Laree is a juicy-looking pink that reminds me of strawberry candy. Saaya similarly reminds me of a peach smoothie or sorbet. Both have a lovely understated gold shimmer that, like many Julep polishes, isn’t immediately obvious but does wonders for adapting the base shade to different skin tones and outfits. I’m a big fan of the glowiness of both colors from certain angles, thanks to that embedded shimmer.
These two polishes have similar formulas that are workable but, unfortunately, not the best. They’re a bit on the thick and chalky side, which doesn’t make for the smoothest or easiest application, though they do dry relatively quickly. They’re both reasonably even and opaque in two coats if you brush them on carefully, but Saaya was still mildly patchy and probably could have used a third coat for good measure.
One of my friends also brought a bunch of her Julep colors, including the Boho Glam set for May with the “[g]olden lilac tulle shimmer” polish, Paulette, which I’d almost picked up as an add-on and now sort of wish I had!
A bunch of us did try the new Plie Wand, though. I’m not sure the longer handle made much of difference in control for me, but some of the girls felt it was helpful, especially for painting toenails. The wand handle was comfortable to hold, but I had to screw the polish cap completely closed and remove the wand each time I took a break, since the wand unbalances the bottle. I guess that’s the trade-off.
Also, as I suspected in my last post, the attached brush cap couldn’t be easily removed without screwing the cap onto a polish bottle for leverage. We ended up having to pop the brush off the pre-inserted cap, then screw the brush-less cap onto a polish bottle to remove it. After that, it was a cinch to swap between caps.
I’ll update my thoughts on the wand if I have any stronger feelings after using it some more.