This post isn’t about polish, but it is about a mystery bag. It’s hard for me to pass up a mystery bag/box, especially when it’s an excellent value. It’s even harder for me to pass up a mystery bag when that bag is full of delicious tea – which, by the way, for those of you reading my blog for my nail-related posts, is full of antioxidants and excellent for your health, which positively affects your nails and everything else as a bonus!
The day after New Year’s, I stopped by Lupicia, a specialty tea shop, while I was at shopping at my local Japanese grocery. The nice salesperson there informed me that they’re currently selling Happy Bags, which are blind/mystery bags guaranteed to contain tea worth at least double what you pay, while supplies last. They had a $30 bag worth at least $60 and a $60 bag worth at least $120.
I’ve wondered for some time now if my addiction to mystery bags is somehow cultural. Fukubukuro (福袋), or lucky bags, are mystery grab-bags customarily offered by all kinds of Japanese stores around New Year’s. It’s probably a good thing I don’t have ready access to a lot of those, else I’d probably go broke.
Predictably, I picked up a $60 bag because I love Lupicia tea. Here’s what was inside, including each item’s regular value:
- Momo Oolong Super Grade, 10 tea bags – $9.50
- Chocolate & Strawberry Puer, 10 tea bags – $7.50
- Napa Blanc San Francisco OriginaliTea (I think this is a limited edition local flavor), 10 tea bags – $7.50
- Paradise Green, 10 tea bags – $7.50
- Peach Melba, 10 tea bags – $7.50
- Matcha Kirara Rice Tea, 10 tea bags – $6.50
- Cassis & Blueberry black tea, 10 tea bags – $7.50
- Breakfast Earl Grey, 50g loose leaf tea – $5.50
- Ripe Mango Oolong, 50g loose leaf tea – $13.00
- Pineapple Oolong, 50g loose leaf tea – $9.50
- Lychee Oolong, 50g loose leaf tea – $6.00
- Sakurambo (cherry) black tea, 50g loose leaf tea – $6.50
- Strawberry & Vanilla green tea, 50g loose leaf tea – $6.50
- Decaf Momo black tea, 50g loose leaf tea – $7.50
- Alphonso Mango black tea, 50g loose leaf tea – $5.50
- Assam Calcutta Auction, 50g loose leaf tea – $8.00
The total value of this bag comes out to $121.50, and I now have enough tea to last me the year. :] Pretty awesome deal, yeah?
As a note, my two sisters each picked up a $30 bag, and their contents turned out to be identical, so it’s possible that the bags at each price level include the same items. If you got one of these, I’d love to know what teas you received and test my theory!
UPDATE 1/7/14: I forgot to mention earlier that I got a Mixed Assortment bag. The store I visited had two choices, Mixed Assortment and Herbal. It looks like the Lupicia website only offers one type of bag, so it might be different from the bag I bought. Hope that helps!